Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A New Babbage Scrapbook

Back to my reminiscing.  We must properly appreciate the past before we are able to fully move forward, with me being the "we" in this scenario. Feel free to skip if you don't want to listen to an old woman ramble on about the pioneer days of NB.

I dredged the archives of The New Babbage Cog and was able to piece together some images of my contributions to the early city.  Though I don't feel that it ultimately made much of a difference to the well-being of New Babbage, it meant a lot to me to be part of it, which is why I must pause to remember.


I.J. Ginsburg Dept. Store

Looking west from #5 Babbage Square (current day Bolyai Square), you can see the I.J. Ginsburg store on the left.  It was almost finished - there is still some scaffolding at the top and in the interior.

In this image just west of the store you can see a small structure between the store and the first NB canal.  Eventually that parcel opened up and I moved the entire store closer to the canal.

In the middle distance you can see the Old Imperial Theater. In the far distance you can see Kahruvel Steamworks.


An early Babbage Square postcard.  The finished I.J. Ginsburg store is on the left. The Cog newspaper office is in the foreground on the right.

NB Trivia:

1. I.J. Ginsburg was the first New Babbage structure to make use of a Mansard roof (not visible except for a white curtain in the window at the top). 

2. It was also the first build to use a scaffolding texture while under construction in order to avoid plywood.




Intolerable Ginsburg's Workshop

Again looking west, this time from Intolerable's workshop (current day New Babbage Cemetery).  The covered walkway is now where the train tracks run between Babbage Square and Port Babbage.



In this picture, you can see the same location from above.  You can see the workshop windows to the left.



The New Babbage Cog

The Cog newspaper office when it was in the location of current-day Cobblestone House. I built the newspaper press in the back (it was extremely primitive compared to New Babbage's current press machinery).



I later gave up the parcel above and moved everything into the back of my store. (Note: the stairs are bad enough, but I only had enough prims left for the office ramp before shuffling things around again.)



A Younger Juniper

A picture of me, circa February 2007.  (I can't believe I wore that hair...the fringe is awful.)

No comments: