Sunday, May 29, 2011

A Visit to New Babbage, Part II

Today I tried again.  I wandered through the sims of New Babbage until I found the City Hall, which appears to be more or less in the middle of Babbage Square.  It was then that I realized that Babbage Square was the first sim, not New Babbage. (I'm duly ashamed of myself...I told you it's been a long time since I've been in-world.)

After realizing this, I oriented myself on the world map and started my walk anew.  I found the old location of Sanger Square, formerly #5 Babbage Square, where my I.J. Ginsburg store was.  It is now called Bolyai Plaza, in the southeast corner of the sim.


Across the way is the old location of the printing press where I published The Cog.  It is now called Cobblestone House, at the corner of Canal Street and Jefferson Way.


And finally, I spotted the location where my husband, Intolerable Ginsburg, had his workshop.  It is now the northeast corner of the New Babbage Cemetery, right by the tracks where they cross over into Port Babbage.


The way I finally managed to orient myself within Babbage Square was by finding the Old Imperial Theater, which Mr. Pearse was kind enough to tell me was in the same spot it was so many years ago.  Were it not for that, I don't know that I ever would have realized where everything had been.  Can you imagine -- Loki and the urchins once had a zip line running from my store over to the theater!



I assure you, I will become tired of reminiscing, but that time hasn't yet come.  I've occupied myself with reading the City of New Babbage website in order to familiarize myself with the place once again.  In doing so, I followed a link over to YouTube to see videos of New Babbage.  They're amazing!

One of the films on the New Babbage channel is a tour of Kahruvel Steamworks - the first utility in the city, built by Mr. Salazar Jack.  Film making what it is, there were two different shots in it that showed I.J. Ginsburg at two different points in time.  The first had the smaller store with my office next door, and the second captured the construction of the newer large store - in its scaffolding state!  (They may have captured me in the process of actually building it -- I think I spy some plywood in that screenshot...)





 Finally, I have to say that watching that film from January, 2007, was a marvelous reminder of what New Babbage looked like then compared to how it looks now.  I find it almost impossible to believe that from such humble beginnings such an incredible city has blossomed.  Cheers to all of the artists, geniuses, drunkards, and thieves that dreamed it into existence!

No comments: