Tuesday, June 14, 2011

National Drinking Month contest

Apparently June is National Drinking Month in New Babbage, and there is a contest to mark the occasion.  Mr. Tenk has invited participants to create drinks, drink servers and vintage ads that can be used by bartenders.

I created an ad almost immediately after he posted the notice, but I've been waffling on whether to try to enter the drink contest.  It requires building a beverage, scripting it and animating it.  Some sample scripts and animations were given out to anyone who wants to use them, but it seems kind of a cop out to do that.

There is an idea that has been floating around in my head for a new drink, so I experimented a bit last night. I built a glass, textured it, and played around with the sample scripts and animations. They're rather plain, but I might use them. I'm not sure that I can come up to speed on Blender again before the June 25th deadline.

I also spent quite a bit of time toying with particle scripts, because particles would really enhance my drink idea. I had forgotten just how tricky particles are.  Gah!

Anyway, I'm still mulling it over.  I'll keep working on it before deciding whether or not to enter the end product. I don't have any expectation of winning, but at least participating would be fun. It seems like good practice either way. 

No comments: