Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Steamy Steampunk (and some kraken too)

I've thought for quite a long time that modeling in Second Life is a silly proposition.  In a place where everyone can look beautiful, being a model seems a bit meaningless.  I mean, what is there to it?  You stand on a pose, put on some fancy clothes (or not), and take snapshots.  No big deal.

Well, maybe I've reconsidered just a little bit.  I still think that saying "I'm a model" in SL is ridiculous.  No one cares.  But the activity of modeling for pictures can be a real hoot.  It all started with a boxing match...

Bianca Namori, who hosts the Sunday Night Sock-out matches, makes posters of the boxers to promote the event. 



Posing for my poster was great fun, so when Bianca contacted me about posing for some "Babes of New Babbage" portraits she was working on, it seemed like a no-brainer.  All of the women of New Babbage were doing it.  (And yes, I'd jump off a bridge, etc.)  My pic turned out a bit steamier than I'd anticipated, but I'm letting it stand because I like it.



The other night Bianca put out a call for lingerie models for portraits to be displayed only in her studio.  I volunteered immediately.  I'd had fun during the other two shoots and I had an ulterior motive:  to have a reason to buy a burlesque outfit I'd had my eye on for awhile.  So I bought it and went over.
She showed me the finished portrait tonight - I thought it turned out really well!

Studio portrait:



Another shot from the same session.  This one is my favorite...


So there we go.  I'm enjoying something I previously thought was rather dumb, and I'm happy to promote Bianca's new photography studio.  You can find her here:

Dastardly Darling Photography

In other news, my kraken writing project is done!  *throws confetti*

It's a book of kraken carols.  When the kraken made an appearance last week, a few of us were chatting about kraken coming to town, the migration, how it's kraken season, and I blurted out, "We need some kraken carols!"  Well, duh.  I adore writing parody songs (or "filk" as I've learned it is called), so I got to work on the idea right away.

Tonight I finished all of the textures needed to bind my carols into a book and sent them off to Scottie, who has a THiNC press.  Here are a few images from the book.  You'll have to buy a copy or at least come see it in-world if you want to read the carols.  ;-)



No comments: